Emotional Intelligence at Workplace
Emotional Intelligence is generally known as Emotional Quotient (EQ).
Emotional intelligence is the ability to identify, manage, evaluate and understand our own emotions and of other people around us. It is the ability to control our emotions, as well as how we respond or react.
- EQ level is as important as IQ level at modern workplace.
- It has a very strong impact on one’s decision making skills and paves way to success in professional career.
- Emotional intelligence helps us to build stronger relationships.
- It reduces conflict at the workplace.
- Managing our emotions helps reduce our stress levels and increase our productivity.
- It helps to build a positive, vibrant and hygienic work culture.
Ways to Improve Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace
- Controlling emotions – Give a thought before you react. Have control on your reactions, never let your feelings rule you.
- Soft skills – People find it easy to talk to someone with good social skills. People approach a person with good soft skills with a very positive and open mindset.
- Analytical mindset – Build an analytical mind than a prejudiced mind. Be observant, gather information, evaluate, listen to reason and comment.
- Relationship management – Be attentive during conversation through active listening. Try to understand the emotions and feeling of people surrounding you. Empathize and motivate when required.
- Communication – Use appropriate communication techniques, both verbal and non-verbal. Work on your facial expressions, gestures, posture and tone of voice as they are very powerful communication tools.
- Etiquette – Follow office etiquette and personal hygiene. This will enhance relationships and trust at workplace.